Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang Trek
Our Upper Dolpo to Mustang trek itinerary visits a remote region of Nepal, instead of following the more popular Dolpo Circuit we head further north to an area very close to the Tibet border and then walk out on the challenging trail to Upper Mustang thereby completing one section of The Great Himalaya Trail
One of the highest inhabited realms on the planet, Dolpo is also still a stronghold of the pre-Buddhist, shamanistic Bon-po religion as well as Tibetan Buddhism. It is a tough, mountainous region of fortified villages, 'dzongs', turquoise lakes, sacred mountains and high passes, susceptible to heavy snows which isolate it from neighboring regions for much of the year. And the rewards for trekking through it are immense!.
This is simply the ultimate Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang Trek for the traveler who's done it all and is still seeking a truly special and rewarding experience. Our trek takes us through a region north of the Himalayan Crest called the Dolpo District. It is bordered to the north by Tibet and is one of the last vestiges of pure Tibetan culture. At the core of the region Shey Phoksundo National Park contains what is known as the Crystal Peak, the "Mount Kailas" of Nepal. Each year hundreds of pilgrims kora around the Crystal Peak making this a culturally intriguing trek. To make this journey even more exciting, we are upping the ante: our trek will depart the regular routes and traverse over to the other also once "Forbidden" Kingdom of Mustang along the soon to be famous Great Himalaya Trail. This is a strenuous trek that takes us over nine high passes, including a pass over 18,000'.
To the east lies the Marsyangdi River and to the west lies the world’s deepest gorge, carved out by the wild waters of the Kaligandaki. The biodiversity of the region – entire hillsides swiped with pink and red rhododendron forests bursting with birdsong - is matched by its incredible cultural diversity. Cultural trails will take you right into the homes of Gurungs in the lowlands, and you can enjoy the hospitality of Thakalis around Jomsom, Manangis in the east and Loba and Tibetans in the arid north. Annapurna has been enormously popular with trekkers over the years and the new roads have actually opened up previously inaccessible areas.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu trek preparation day.
Day 03 : Fly Kathmandu to Nepalgunj. overnight at hotel.
Day 04 : Fly Nepalgunj to Juphal (2530m) - trek to Sulighat (2280m) overnight at camp
Day 05 : Trek Sulighat to Chepka (2675m) overnight at camp
Day 06 : Trek Chepka to Palam (3000m) overnight at camp
Day 07 : Trek Palam - Phoksundo Lake (3600m)
Day 08 : Trek Phoksundo Lake to Chorten Sallagari (3800m)
Day 09 : Trek Chorten de Sallagari - Kang la base camp(4600m)
Day 10 : Cross Kang La to Shey Gompa (5350m - 4200m)
Day 11 : Shey Gompa (4200m)- Rest day
Day 12 : Shey Gompa - Saldang pass (5100m) - Namgunj Gompa (4500m)
Day 13 : Namgunj Gompa - Saldang (4150m)
Day 14 : Trek Saldang to Thora Sumna and then Janguir Gompa (3750m)
Day 15 : Trek to Mushigaon (4150m)
Day 16 : Trek Mushigaon to Simigaon (3900m)
Day 17 : Trek Simigaon to Tinje (4180m)
Day 18 : Trek Tinje to Yak Kharka (4400m)
Day 19 : Trek charka La (5000m) to Charka (4300m)
Day 20 : Rest day at Charka (4300m)
Day 21 : Trek Charka (4300m) to Khyoklun Summa (4850m)
Day 22 : Trek Khyoklun Summa to Arniko Chuli valley
Day 23 : High pass Muletiersi (5685 m) to Tsopkho lake (5300m)
Day 24 : Tsopkho lake to Kyekap La Phedi (5000m)
Day 25 : Kyekap La (5590m) to Lo Mantang (3800m)
Day 26 : Lo Mantang (3800m)
Day 27 : Trek back Lo manthang to Gami (3590m)
Day 28 : Trek back Gami to Chele (3100m)
Day 29 : Trek back chele to Jomosom (2605m)
Day 30 : Fly Jomsom to Pokhara.. relax in Pokhara
Day 31 : Fly Pokhara to Kathmandu
Day 32: Final Departure
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements. Please contact us for the full detailed day by day proposal with price, includes and excludes. The price are differ as per the standard of the hotel accommodation we use for this tour..
- Airport pick up and Drop by private car/van/bus.
- 3 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with bed and breakfast basis.
- 1 night accommodation in Pokhara with bed and breakfast basis.
- Your standard meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the trekking.
- All necessary paper works and conservation entry permits.
- National park and Conservation fees
- Kathmandu to Nepalgunj and Nepalgunj to Jufal flight fare
- Special trekking permit for Upper Dolpo and Upper Mustang.
- Annapurna conservation fee
- Kathmandu Sightseeing Tour with native language speaking guide
- Jomsom to Pokhara and Pokhara to Kathmandu flight tickets
- Complete camping equipment for trekking.
- Accommodation in tents while on the trek with 3 meals.
- Necessary camping crew.
- Salary, Food, Insurance for the guide and porter.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Fare well dinner with typical Nepali restaurant
- All government taxes.
- International air fare to Nepal.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Personal clothing & equipments.
- Nepal entry visa fee $40. ( during 60 days from the date of issue.)
- Travel insurance and helicopter charter in any cases but if you want us to arrange
- Items of personal nature. ( Personal Expenses)
- Any kinds of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, phone call, internet, laundry etc.
- Tips for your crews ( Guide, porter and driver)
The projects consists of a vast suite of classic mid format celluloid film portraits of tribes people in the Omo Valley in southwest Ethiopia, near the Sudanese border, a grim and unforgiving, unaccessible roadless area which Claes Britton has also visited, on a river expedition back in 1988. The projects consists of a vast suite of classic mid format celluloid film portraits of tribes people in the Omo Valley in southwest Ethiopia, near the Sudanese border, a grim and unforgivvisited, on a river expedition back in 1988. The projects consists of a vast suite of classic mid format celluloid film portraits of tribes people in the Omo Valley in southwest Ethiopia, near the Sudanese border, a grim and unforgiving, unaccessible roadless area which Claes.